Camp Ockanickon is FULL FOR ALL SESSIONS with a waitlist option.
Camp Ockanickon for Boys
Camp Ockanickon for boys leads the way in camping, character, and connection. At camp, we tell kids, “The hero is you.” We want them to realize it. We want them to act like it. We want them to help others do the same. We believe the heroic mindset fostered over summers at Ockanickon will benefit them (and those around them) for decades to come.
The Ockanickon Character Universe
OUR THEME & CHARACTER-BUILDING PROGRAM – The O.C.U.
A Camp Ockanickon experience is themed within The Ockanickon Character Universe (O.C.U.) – a gamified experience which centers around the core question: Who are you playing as? The hero, the villain, or the villager? We use this theme to have fun, be silly, create magic, and build character.
Within this program, campers learn to actualize their heroic potential – Ascender, Elder, Spirit, Stargazer, Storm, Monk, and Blue Feather.
These qualities are described below. Each is inspired by a different “legend” of camp. If you’re interested in finding out more about The O.C.U. check out The Pathfinder’s Guide to The Ockanickon Character Universe.
INSPIRED BY: Frank DeMartini, former Ockanickon camper, who helped save dozens of people during the September 11, 2001 attacks. He was seen going back up the tower to save others before it collapsed.
Ascender Potential is about acting when action is necessary.
VALUE EACH OTHER
INSPIRED BY: Chief Ockanickon, 17th Century leader of the Lenni-Lenape and namesake of our camp. On his deathbed, he famously said, “Be plain and fair to all as I have been.”
Elder Potential is about valuing each and respecting all.
INSPIRED BY: The unique spirit and feel of summer camp, especially derived from the phrases, “Spirit of Matollionequay,” and “Spirit of Ockanickon.” Camp is all about joy and togetherness.
Spirit Potential is about seizing joy together.
INSPIRED BY: The achievements and accomplishments of Ockanickon and Matollionequay alumni over the last 113 years. From spending summers looking up at the stars to becoming scientists, educators, governors and generals, they’ve gone on to do tremendous things with their lives.
Stargazer Potential is about being courageously curious.
INSPIRED BY: The 2004 storm that destroyed our dams and washed away our camp lakes for the next couple summers. The New York Times called it a “1000-year storm.”
Storm Potential is about striving again in the face of failure.
AIM FOR THE TRUTH
INSPIRED BY: Thich Nhat Hanh, Vietnamese Buddhist monk and esteemed guest to camp the summer of 1962. He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monk Potential is about aiming to understand and searching for the truth.
BLUE FEATHER POTENTIAL:
BELIEVE IN YOUR BEST
INSPIRED BY: William Douglass, legendary Camp Director and creator of the Blue and Green Feather programs.
Blue Feather Potential is about believing in yourself and helping others do the same.
Building Through Adventure
Part of embodying a heroic mindset means seeking adventure. For that reason, Camp Ocaknickon is full of it. Perhaps the most unique program we offer at Camp Ockanickon is The Elder Quest – an elaborate game in which teams of campers compete to earn the most EPIC ITEMS. Most items can be earned by winning fun camp challenges. Here are some examples of Epic Items and how they’re won:
THE GOLDEN TOILET BOWL – Cleanest cabins throughout the session!
THE OCKY BLOCK – Find the hidden block first by deciphering the daily clues!
THE TEAM CUP – Display the most team enthusiasm!
THE GOLDEN BOW – Shoot the most bullseyes in a day!
THE OPEN WORLD HELMET – Earn the most points in Open World Stargazing (an elaborate scavenger hunt)!
THE LURE OF THE LAKE – Catch the most fish in a session!
THE BLESSING OF HOM TANKS – Strongest performance (behavior) at fishing!
We also give out Epic Items to campers who expertly embody our heroic potentials:
THE SWORD OF ASCENDER – Awarded for heroically acting out Ascender Potential
THE ELDER TORCH – Awarded for heroically acting out Elder Potential
THE SPIRIT ELIXIR – Awarded for heroically acting out Spirit Potential
THE STARGAZER SCOPE – Awarded for heroically acting out Stargazer Potential
THE STORM ARMOR – Awarded for heroically acting out Storm Potential
THE MONK ROBES – Awarded for heroically acting out Monk Potential
Building Through Goal-Setting
Our determination and goal-setting program called Emblems has a history which dates back to the 1920’s and has been revived in recent years. Each camper gets an Emblem Block on their first day of camp as well as a guide which lists specific milestones and achievements – “Emblems.” Emblems are divided into Six Skill Guilds which include all of our different camp activities. The Six Skill Guilds are:
VOYAGER – Boating, Swimming, and Fishing
MARKSMAN – Archery and Tomahawk Throwing
ATHLETE – Land Sports and Mountain Biking
ARTISAN – Creative Arts
PHILOSOPHER – Nature, Science, and Strategy
CHALLENGER – High Adventure and Challenge Course
2021 Overnight Camp Dates & Rates
- Session 1: Sunday, June 27 – Saturday, July 3
- Session 2: Sunday, July 4 – Saturday, July 10
- Session 5: Sunday, August 8 – Saturday, August 14
- Session 6: Sunday, August 15 – Saturday, August 21
- Session 7: Sunday, August 22 – Saturday, August 28 (Co-ed)
- Session 3: Sunday, July 11 – Saturday, July 24 “Matocky Games”
- Session 4: Sunday, July 25 – Saturday, August 7 “Color Wars”
- 1 Week Pricing – Tier A: $870 – Tier B: $815 – Tier C: $760
- 2 Week Pricing – Tier A: $1,685 – Tier B: $1,560 – Tier C: $1,460
* The tiered pricing system is an “honor system” designed to make camp more affordable and accessible. Levels B & C are below the true cost of camp, so we ask that all parents who can afford to pay Level A please do so. All chosen levels are confidential and all children receive the same great camp experience regardless of level.
Mini-Camp Sleepaway Camp, ages 6-8 only
- Session 2: Sunday, July 4 – Wednesday, July 7
- Session 3: Sunday, July 11 – Wednesday, July 14
- Mini-Camp Session – $249 (no coupons or discounts can be applied). You may register for multiple mini-camp sessions.
Ranger Wilderness Trips, ages 15-16; we are allowing 17 year olds for 2021
- Session 3: Sunday, July 11 – Saturday, July 24 Rangers Boots & Boats I- Price: $1,865
- Session 4: Sunday, July 25 – Saturday, August 7 Rangers Boots & Boats II – Price: $1,865
Camp Ockanickon Leadership Trials, ages 14 – 16
- Session 3: Sunday, July 11 – Saturday, July 24 Leadership Trials A – Price: $1,685
- Session 4: Sunday, July 25 – Saturday, August 7 Leadership Trials B – Price: $1,685
2021 Ocky/Matolly Family Handbook
Learn More About Camp Ockanickon for Boys...
- Camp Ockanickon Activities Take the challenge of trying a new sport. Stretch your creative boundaries. Sing around a campfire. Explore nature trails. Learn to work together as a group. Make new friends. Our 800 acres of Camp provide a place for everything you’ll want to do for the summer of a lifetime.
- Camp Ockanickon Character and Leadership Development Programs Leadership Trials and the CIT, (Counselor-In-Training) program incorporates the Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, Courage and Inclusion into a unique opportunity to build leadership skills in a camp environment.
- Camp Ockanickon Horseback Riding YMCA of the Pines partners with Pony World Adventure to provide horseback riding lessons for attendees of Summer Camp sessions. These lessons offer the opportunity for developing equestrians to become more confident in their abilities and comfortable within a community of riders.
- For Camp Ockanickon Parents Through progressive, age-appropriate activities, our campers learn invaluable, 21st century skills, which will help them succeed long after their days at Ockanickon are done. Campers will walk away with a smile and a trait that is best described as grit.
- For Camp Ockanickon Campers We can’t imagine being anywhere else in the world and we're thrilled that you have chosen to spend your summer with us here at Camp Ockanickon. There's so much to do at Camp Ockanickon. But don't just take our word for it...
- Spirit Quest Tribute