Job Title: School’s Out Counselor (under 18)
FLSA Status: Part Time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Site Supervisor and School’s Out Director
The School’s Out Counselor is responsible for supporting the planning and implementation of activities, programs, and experiences for children at the designated program site. The School’s Out Counselor is also responsible for the general safety, development, growth and skill achievement of the children in his/her group. Counselor positions are both before and after school, from September 8 – June 17-23. Positions are available 5 days a week and preference is given to candidates who can work multiple shifts in a week. Positions are available in Medford, Medford Lakes, Tabernacle, and Shamong. Attendance is required at twelve + hours of paid training in late August and 4 evening staff meetings during the year. Counselors are employed by the program as a whole and are not guaranteed a position at a specific school. School’s Out counselors who are under 18 will never be left alone with minor children.
• Assist in providing and participating in all activities while ensuring the delivery of a quality program.
• Responsible for assisting the Site Supervisor in: greeting children and parents; assuring proper use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; cleaning and storage of equipment and supplies in the program area.
• Attend staff meetings, workshops, and in-service training per State requirements.
• Cultivate positive relationships and maintain effective communication with parents, children, and other staff members.
• Adhere to program and state licensing standards, including safety and cleanliness standards
• Follow YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention, and emergencies.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgment, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change.
1. At least 16 years of age
2. Knowledge in the supervision and safety of children
3. Possess leadership skills and can assist in encouraging and motivating children in a before- and after-school setting
4. Able to communicate effectively with coworkers, children, and parents/guardians.
5. CPR, First Aid, AED Certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training completed within 60 days of hire.
6. Ability to lead in one or more of the following areas: sports, games, academics, crafts
1. Ability to work before- and/or after-school hours, as well as delayed openings, early dismissals, and occasional school closure days.
2. Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel & bend (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
3. Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
4. Must be able to lift and/or assist children up to 50 pounds in weight.
5. Must be able to lift and carry food and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
6. Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
The School’s Out Counselor must maintain a culture of inclusion, integrity, character and life-long learning within the YMCA that reinforces, encourages, and promotes values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, courage, and inclusion.
Having read and understood the job description, I accept the position of School’s Out Counselor for the School’s Out Program. I agree to fulfill my responsibilities and will perform as a member of the YMCA staff team in a cooperative, courteous, and outstanding manner. I understand that I am being hired for the School’s Out program as whole, and not for any one specific location. I understand and agree that my specific school assignment may change based upon the needs of the program. I understand that this is a ten month position, beginning with training in the end of August and concluding when the elementary school finishes in June. I understand that should I wish to work in the program for successive year, I will need to reapply each year.
This job description is not an expressed or implied contract, and YMCA of the Pines reserves the right to change this job description as necessary.
For more information contact Becki Kidder, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, click the apply now button here ycamp.org/about/employment.