YMCA of the Pines
Job Title: Assistant Director – Lake Stockwell Day Camp (coed day camp)
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Lake Stockwell Day Camp Director
The Lake Stockwell Assistant Director is responsible for assisting the Camp Director in program development and implementation, staff and camper recruitment, staff and camper retention, safety/risk management, training, parent relationships and customer service, fundraising, and general marketing. Other responsibilities include assisting the Camp Director with the management and oversight of the Trading Post (camp store), including vending for all 3 camps, along with assisting the Outdoor Center as a host/program instructor, especially during periods of high volume. This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
- Assist Camp Director with daily operation of camp programs.
- Assist Camp Director with the recruitment, hiring, and supervising of summer counselors and instructional staff.
- Serve, periodically, as a group host and facilitator for Outdoor Center programs.
- Maintain relationships with parents, campers, staff, and group leaders during the summer and off-season.
- Recruit campers through attendance at camp fairs and other events.
- Support and maintain a culture of first-class customer service.
- Assist in maintaining a culture of safety with staff and campers alike.
- Assist in completion of camp paperwork such as schedules, inventories, lesson plans, and camper forms.
- Assist in the direct supervision, evaluation, and support of staff members.
- Assist and coordinate special events in conjunction with the Camp Directors and other leadership staff.
- Produce marketing materials and social media content for summer camp.
- Assist Camp Director to meet annual fundraising goals for the department.
- Comply with all NJ State Youth Camp Act, ACA, and YMCA standards.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgment, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change.
This position requires leadership skills to assist in daily camp operation. The incumbent must be 21 years of age or older have knowledge in the daily operation of camp programs, including staff and camper supervision. Knowledge in safety, care of equipment and supplies, inventory, skill instructions and progressive age appropriate programming is required. The ability to teach songs, crafts, games, stories, sports, and related skills is preferred. Incumbent must show enthusiasm, dedication, responsibility and maturity and have the ability to interact and communicate clearly with campers, parents and staff. Must either have or acquire a Lifeguard Instructor certification through the American Red Cross within 120 days of hire. Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Recreation, Physical Education, Education or related field is required.
- Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week with irregular work hours. Summer camp months may require up to 100-hour weeks.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and/or assist children up to 50 pounds in weight.
- Must be able to lift and carry food and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
- Ability to view/enter data for long periods of time.
- Ability to withstanding heat and/or cold weather conditions for lengthy periods of time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
The Lake Stockwell Day Camp Assistant Director is a vital role for the YMCA of the Pines. The effectiveness of the incumbent shall be measured by the degree to which the above goals are met.
Apply by emailing a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org