Are you passionate about making a powerful difference in the lives of young people? Do you love the outdoors and teaching your skills to others? Looking for something exciting, rewarding, and fun to do this summer? The sleepaway camps at YMCA of the Pines are hiring Challenge Course Facilitators for this coming summer!
The Challenge Course Facilitator position is responsible for the supervision of campers in large and small group settings and for the general safety, development, growth, and skill achievement of the campers and staff in their assigned age group. The Challenge Course Facilitator is also responsible for supervising and delivering all aspects of the Challenge Course Program including safety, care of equipment, inventory, skill instruction, and progressive age-appropriate programming.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Responsible for the general safety and supervision of campers in assigned group, care of equipment, inventory, skill instruction, and progressive age-appropriate programming.
- Facilitate an appreciation of group decision-making and problem-solving activities through structured socialization and actualization experiences.
- Provide program excellence and a caring environment to ensure that campers have a rewarding and enjoyable experience.
- Supervise and participate in all assigned aspects of the campers’ day which includes but is not limited to: Camper check-in and check-out; attendance; meal times; activities; and additional duties as assigned.
- Maintain and develop program areas and act as support staff for; summer camps, outdoor center, SACC, kitchen, housekeeping, administration, and maintenance when needed.
- Attend and participate in one week of Challenge Course Training and one week of General Staff Training.
To be successful in this position, you will need:
- Experience working with youth, preferably in an outdoor recreation or camp setting
- Strong group facilitation, communication, and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills
- Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs.
- Openness to change and flexibility with scheduling
- To know how to have fun!
To be considered for this job, you must:
- Be dedicated and passionate about working with young people
- Be 18 years of age by time of employment
- Have a clear criminal background check and safe driving record
- Have the ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel & bend (including on the floor) for long periods of time
- Be able to lift and/or assist children or gear up to 50 pounds in weight and work in a variety of weather conditions
- Have the visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
- Be available for the duration of training and summer camp sessions, at least from June 3rd through August 24th
- Prior challenge course facilitation experience and certifications
Dates of Employment: Challenge Course training begins June 3rd. Summer programs operate from June 23rd – August 24th, plus post-summer wrap up at the end of August. Opportunities exist for additional work based on interest and availability in beginning of May and continuing into the fall season. Must be available evenings and weekends.
Preference will be given to applications received by May 3rd.
Please submit a resume and names of three references with contact information to:
Carol Yard, Outdoor Center Director
For more information visit ycamp.org
YMCA of the Pines is an equal opportunity employer