YMCA of the Pines
Job Title: Accounting Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
This position supports the Chief Financial Officer. Manages accounting functions, including cash receipts, payroll and accounts payable. Administers approved accounting policies and procedures throughout the YMCA. Assists in preparation of complete and accurate monthly and annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP. Manages the annual external audit, the 990 tax return, the preparation of financial information for outside funders and the compilation of the annual budget. Assists in the preparation of the operating budget.
- Supervises registration personnel and ensures the timely processing of program registrations; oversees payroll and the accounts receivable and collections function.
- Supervises Accounting Assistant.
- Responsible for the timely payment of vendors and the accurate processing of Accounts Payable.
- Hires, trains, supervises and manages all registration and human resource personnel.
- Serves as a resource person to program personnel in all matters relating to accounting and accounts payable.
- Oversees function of awarding financial assistance including determining qualification, the amount awarded and following up with applicants. Also ensures total amount of financial assistance is within budget.
- Prepares reconciliation of all bank accounts on a monthly basis; follows up on returned checks.
- Prepares monthly financial statements on a timely basis for presentation at Finance Committee meetings.
- Oversees petty cash.
- Prepares various internal and external reports, including reports for YMCA of the USA.
- Works with program staff to ensure the proper payment from third party agencies such as BCCAP and DCPP; ensures timely recording of third party payments.
- Conducts special internal audits, accounting studies, analyses and cost studies as required. Provides recommendations.
- Works closely with IT vendors to ensure that computer and software systems provide accurate information and adequate internal controls.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCAs efforts for all stakeholders. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in accounting.
- Understanding of and experience in GAAP is required.
- Five or more years of experience in accounting or a supervisory accounting role.
- Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of human resource administration.
- Experience in a nonprofit environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of computer systems and computer skills required.
- Experience in effectively managing a staff team.
- Ability to develop and use spreadsheets and standard business software systems.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and delegate responsibility as necessary.
- Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week with irregular work hours, including some weekends; especially during the summer months.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
EFFECT ON END RESULTS:
The Accounting Manager fills a vital role for YMCA of the Pines. The effectiveness of the incumbent shall be measured by the degree to which the above goals are met.