Job Title: Sous Chef
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Food Service Director
To provide nutritious and appealing meals to the guests of the YMCA of the Pines and to keep all facilities and equipment in the care of the Food Service Department clean and presentable at all times. The Sous Chef is responsible in assisting the department in implementing and achieving the mission, goals, objectives and values of the organization.
- Assist in all daily operations of the camp food services.
- Assist in the preparation of food as the menu indicates including food for extracurricular or off-site consumption.
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness, sanitation and organization in the kitchens, storage areas and dining facilities.
- Maintain a high level of personal hygiene.
- Removal of recycling and rubbish to appropriate areas.
- Preventing risks by reducing and/or reporting safety hazards.
- Train seasonal kitchen staff, volunteers or staff from other departments to give them skills needed to perform tasks in the kitchen.
- Supervise other staff working/helping/volunteering in the kitchens as needed.
- Work with the Food Service Director to develop new and diversified ideas and menu items in accordance with the Organization’s mission, vision, and values.
- Have the willingness to teach cooking classes for groups of all sizes and ages.
- Be able to write recipes and blogs for publication on the camp’s website and social media outlets.
- Assist the Food Service Director in meeting the goals of the department including fundraising.
- Provide first-class customer service, including communicating with customers via telephone and email in a professional and pleasant manner.
Restaurant and/or Institutional Food Service experience is required. Must be ServSafe Certified, or achieve certification within 30-days of hire. Must have the willingness to be part of a team and learn new skills.
- Ability to learn and perform the skills as instructed by the Food Service Director.
- Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week with irregular work hours.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and carry food and supplies weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Must take direction professionally.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate person to person and via electronic communication.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
- Ability to withstanding heat and/or cold weather conditions for lengthy periods of time.
EFFECT ON END RESULTS:
The Sous Chef fills a vital role for the YMCA of the Pines. The effectiveness of the incumbent shall be measured by the degree to which the above goals are met.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.