Job Title: Program Specialist
FLSA Status: Seasonal (June-September)
Part-Time, Non-Exempt (October-May)
Reports to: Outdoor Center Director
The Program Specialist position is responsible for program delivery in all departments, including but not limited to; program development, group and member retention, recruitment, safety, training, community, relationships, interdepartmental communications and logisitics as it relates to programmatic needs. Therefore, successful fulfillment of this position should be measured by the timely and maintained safety record surrounding program delivery and members, the continued positive feedback from evaluations, and achievement of department operating goals.
- Developing awareness of the natural sciences through delivery of outdoor education programs.
- Facilitating an appreciation of group decisions-making and problem-solving activities through structured socialization and actualization experiences.
- Providing program excellence and a caring environment to ensure that guests have a rewarding and enjoyable educational experience.
- Ensuring that student and guests participate in safe outdoor recreational activities.
- Maintaining and developing program areas and acting as support staff for; summer camps, SACC, kitchen, housekeeping, administration, and maintenance when needed.
- Promoting the mission and philosophical goals through responsible actions and professional presence.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgment, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change.
This position requires the ability to facilitate emergency procedures, communicate and train guests in risks and safety management and must have the ability to work with all ages and skill levels. The Program Specialist must be able to plan and conduct activities that reach group and participant development objectives.
- Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week with irregular work hours.
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, kneel & bend (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and/or assist children up to 50 pounds in weight.
- Must be able to lift and carry food and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
- $8.38 – $11.00 per hour